Candied Walnut Beet Carpaccio Salad
Candied Walnuts Beet Carpaccio Salad is a delicious pairing of fall ingredients for vegans and non-vegans alike. The preparation begins one day before. This recipe is worth it for the end-result and a textured olive oil.
What a creative and delicious way to use our family’s Spanish estate olive oil.
Candied Walnut Beet Carpaccio Salad ingredients:
Serves 41 cup Olivo Real Reserva Familiar for freezing
2 large red beets, peeled
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon Manuka honey
4 tablespoons Olivo Real "Picual"
2 cups baby arugula
¼ cup gorgonzola
1 cup toasted organic walnuts
2 teaspoons Maldon salt
- The day before place the olive oil in a small stainless-steel container.
- Freeze for 12 hours.
- Next, transfer to the fridge for another 6 hours.
- Using a mandolin, thinly slice the beets and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sherry vinegar and honey. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the olive oil into the vinaigrette in a slow stream, while continuing to whisk.
- Set aside.
- Fan the beets in a circular pattern, slightly overlapping, around the plate.
- Scatter the arugula in a circular motion.
- Sprinkle gorgonzola on top of the beets.
- Then, scatter walnuts on top.
- Drizzle salad with vinaigrette.
- Scoop a quenelle of textured olive oil in the centre and sprinkle with sea salts
Why is the olive oil first frozen and thawed?
Chef Rene says this is how he creates an ice cream like textured olive oil, in his Candied Walnut Beet Carpaccio Salad recipe. It is an integral part of the unique recipe.
What is Manuka honey?
Manuka honey comes from New Zealand. European bees were introduced into the country in the early 19th century and today pollinate from the manuka shrub. This makes for a very potent honey, full of health properties.
How do you toast walnuts?
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the walnuts on top. Toast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, being sure to stir occasionally to prevent burning.
How do you use the mandoline?
To use a mandoline first cut the end of the beet with a knife to create a flat end. Then, wet the blade. While applying even pressure, run the beet along the blade, away from your body. Most importantly, use the guard if you have one.
Which wine should I serve with Candied Walnut Beet Carpaccio Salad?
Chef Rene suggests that you enjoy it with a glass of tempranillo from Spain. Like cabernet sauvignon, tempranillo is aged in oak. Serve at cellar temperature between 60 to 68 F.